The 2018 People’s Choice Awards were filled with stylish celebs. If you have been needing some fashion inspiration lately, the looks seen at the event will provide you with all of that and more.
You Can Never Go Wrong with an LBD
The Little Black Dress has been around for decades. A few celebs chose to go down this route for their 2018 People’s Choice Awards outfit, and Mila Kunis was one who managed to pull it off exceptionally well.
While the LBD used to be considered a mourning outfit back in the 20’s, this all changed thanks to Coco Chanel, who turned the dress into a sexy and stylish outfit.
Hollywood helped to push the LBD into the limelight, with stars such as Rita Hayworth and Audrey Hepburn making the little black dress truly iconic.
What exactly is a little black dress?
It’s exactly what it sounds like – a short to medium-length black dress that can be worn for just about any occasion.
Don’t have one in your wardrobe?
Well, it’s time to get one. However, with so many different styles out there, picking the perfect and most versatile LBD can be difficult.
The key is to choose a dress style that properly flatters your body shape.
Here are some guidelines:
- Apple Shaped – a short dress will accentuate your legs while a deep neckline will draw the eye upwards. Empire line dresses are ideal for creating some shape, while a belted LBD will help to give you a more defined waistline
- Pear Shaped – details on the top half of the dress, such as large lapels, collars and sleeves, will help to balance out your proportions. Stay away from dresses with tightly fitting skirts, or with details at the hips, such as pockets
- Hour Glass Shaped – fitted, figure-hugging dresses will flatter you well, especially with a belt to cinch this in at the waist to highlight your shape. A wrap dress will also accentuate your curves
- Curvy Shaped – embellished necklines will draw attention upwards, while sheer sleeves will show some skin without revealing too much. A 60’s style dress will draw your waist in and highlight your curves
- Athletic Shaped – a dress with an A-line skirt will give your body some shape, while a cowl neckline will create the appearance of a larger chest
- Petite – a fitted dress with vertical lines will add height, as will a pair of heels worn with your LBD. Avoid anything loose or baggy, as this will only drown out your frame
Don’t Be Afraid to Go All-White
Many people are afraid to go all white with their outfits, but this is something that was seen on quite a few celebs at the People’s Choice Awards. An all-white outfit immediately looks sophisticated and elegant, so long as you wear it in the right way.
How do all the celebs out there manage to pull this tricky look off?
One of the secrets to wearing an all-white look is to pay attention to texture…
Incorporating multiple textures into your look will give it so much more interest, preventing it from looking too one dimensional.
Layering different pieces, in the same way that Victoria Beckham did at the People’s Choice Awards, can also make an all-white outfit look even better, especially if you make use of different textures in your layers too.
Another tip would be to wear some contrasting accessories with your all-white outfit. This will give it a pop of color to help modernize it, whether you do this with your jewelry, your bag or your shoes.
Statement Accessories Can Transform an Outfit
Many celebrities at this year’s People’s Choice Awards chose to keep things simple with their accessories, but others decided to take things further, opting for statement accessories that really transformed their outfit.
If you have an outfit that is quite simple when it comes to color, texture or style, then this is the perfect opportunity to add in a statement accessory to really mix things up.
The easiest statement accessory to wear would be a necklace, whether this may be a long layered chain or a wide bib necklace.
How do you make sure that your statement necklace matches your outfit?
By paying attention to the neckline of your top.
If you are wearing a halter neck, a top with a collar, or something that has lots of details around the neck, you would probably be best off opting for another type of statement accessory rather than a necklace. However, for scoop or v-necks, as well as off-the-shoulder, strapless and turtleneck styles, a statement necklace can add so much to your outfit.
What are your other options apart from a necklace?
Statement rings work well, but you do need to make sure that your hands and nails are well-groomed, since you will be drawing attention towards them. If you are wearing nail polish, make sure that this highlights, rather than clashes with, any colors in your ring.
A single cuff bracelet on one wrist is another option, or, alternatively, opt for a stack of bangles on one arm.
Of course, statement accessories can be about more than just jewelry…
Your bag or your shoes can also make quite the statement, so have a think about which accessory would complement your outfit the most.
A Suit Is Super Versatile
There were so many suits seen at the 2018 People’s Choice Awards, with each celeb pulling off the suit in their own individual way.
This is a great look for a woman, exuding power and confidence, along with a touch of sexiness.
Want some good news?
The power suit is a huge fashion trend right now, making this the perfect time to invest in one.
Never bought a suit before?
The key to wearing a suit well is to be sure that the suit perfectly fits your body. Quality fabrics are also important, as both of these elements will immediately make the suit flattering.
Don’t like pantsuits?
A suit can feature other items instead of pants. Suits with shorts were also seen at the People’s Choice Awards, while cropped pant suits can lend the suit a more casual edge.
Orange is the New Black
When it comes to stylish colors, orange really is the new black. Unfortunately, many women are scared of this color, not quite knowing how to pull it off.
With orange being such a bold and vivid color, it does make quite the statement, meaning that you need to be wearing it in the right way.
While you may not want to go for a formal orange dress, there are plenty of other ways in which you can wear this color.
Here are a few tips:
- Try pairing it with neutrals, such as black or nude
- Go for a print that features orange. This still incorporates the color into your look without it being over-the-top
- Orange and purple work surprisingly well together, but make sure that any accessories are neutral colored
- Orange works well in accessories, such as scarves, earrings and necklaces
Cinch It In
No matter what you may be wearing, cinching your outfit in at the waist can add so much definition to your body and really flatter your curves.
Elle Ferguson did exactly that at the People’s Choice Awards. Without the belt, her dress would have been loose and baggy, drowning out her slender frame.
However, not any belt will do…
You need to make sure that you wear a belt that complements your body shape.
For example, if you have a longer torso, then a wide waist belt is great for helping to create the illusion of a shorter upper body, balancing out your proportions. On the other hand, those who have shorter waists would be better off going for a thinner belt, as this won’t hide away too much of your body.
The length of the belt is also important…
Your belt will look best when it is fastened to the middle hole. If the tail end is too short, it will end up looking stubby, whereas a belt that is too long will hang out over the edge of your body, distracting from your overall look.
Dresses look so good with belts, but you do need to be careful about the type of dress that you belt.
If your dress has a lot of excess fabric, tying it in at the waist may end up causing this fabric to bunch together, creating an unappealing silhouette. Make sure that the dress and belt work well together, and that the belt doesn’t interfere too much with how the dress falls.
Brooklyn and Bailey are identical twin YouTube stars who were nominated for the Beauty Influencer award at this year’s People’s Choice Awards.
The twins have also been passionate about having fun with fashion, and this is something that can always be seen in their outfit choices.
There are so many “rules” out there when it comes to fashion, and this is something that more and more people are freeing themselves from, choosing to really express themselves through their clothes instead.
If you are someone who has never had much confidence when it comes to fashion…
You can start by working on developing your own personal style.
Here are some tips:
- Know your body shape – body shapes have been mentioned a couple of times already, and it is important for you to know what yours is. This will help you to choose the most flattering silhouettes, enabling you to experiment more with your clothing
- Pick a few signature pieces – whether you opt for a certain accessory, print or shoes, having signature pieces that people immediately relate to you will help to define your sense of style
- Create a mood board – this may seem over-the-top, but a mood board can really help you to establish your own sense of style. Try putting one together on Pinterest, gathering together outfits, colors and pieces that you love
- Know what doesn’t work – in addition to finding pieces that work well for you, you also need to know what doesn’t work. Whether this may be a high-necked t-shirt, a maxi dress or anything else, get these out of your wardrobe now
- Find flattering colors – different colors have their own unique effect on different skin tones. In order to find out which colors will suit you the most, and bring a glow to your skin, you will need to identify your skin tone. There are plenty of guides to help you with this online
There is a Print for Everything
There were only a few prints seen at the People’s Choice Awards, but the celebs who did choose to wear a print really managed to make a statement.
Camila Mendes, in her printed Etro dress, stood out from the crowd. The dress itself is quite minimal, with a simple silhouette, but the print completely elevates it, showing just how transformational a print can be.
Want to give your outfit even more attitude?
Try mixing and matching different prints.
If you have never done this before, start off small. Begin with a printed item of clothing that you love, but swap the solid-colored item that you usually wear this with with a printed item. For example, if you often wear a printed top with solid-colored pants, try pairing the top with printed pants instead.
Wearing inverse colors, such as a white top with black stripes along with a black skirt with white stripes, can also work well. This lessens the contrast between the two prints, making the look slightly more subtle.
Wearing the same print but in different sizes is also a fail-proof option.
What does this mean?
Take vertical stripes for example. A top with thin and narrow vertical stripes worn with pants that have thicker and wider vertical stripes will create quite the striking outfit.
Award ceremonies are always a great place to get some fashion inspiration. Whether you decide to give the power suit a try or are inspired to experiment more with prints, the styles seen at this year’s People’s Choice Award definitely provided plenty of food for thought!